Monday, April 12, 2010

Melancholy Thoughts on Good Friday

Monday, April 12, 2010
On Good Friday, I stayed with my aunt (my dad’s oldest sister), who has Alzheimer’s, while my cousin went to church. My cousin, Shirley, has lived with and taken care of her mother for over eight years now and cherishes every second of their time together, even though her beloved mother no longer recognizes her or anyone else.

As I waited for Shirley to get home from church, I thought about the rest of my dad’s family. His four brothers and four sisters were all kind and decent people who enjoyed each other’s company. They were funny as hell and liked a good party, so I have lots of warm memories of holidays and reunions. But now only one brother and three sisters are left, and two of them have serious health issues.

The one to whom I am closest is my only remaining uncle (and his wife and kids), and I don’t know how I’ll handle it when he dies. That’s because I always wished that he had been my father. He is so many things that my dad was not. I love this man dearly and hope he has many more healthy years.

Thinking about my dad’s family makes me sad. It also makes me realize that I haven’t seen my aunt and uncle for a few months. So, given how quickly time slips past me, I’m going to visit them this week. Now I feel better!
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment